THE WEDNESDAY REPORT: April 20, 2022
Dear Partners in Ministry,
He Is Risen… You Are Awesome… life, in general, is pretty good. =)
Thank you all so much, not only for your wonderful and moving music-making over the days of Triduum and Easter Sunday, but also for your patience, cooperation, and support as I hit the ground running and threw this season together. Given the limits of time and re-grouping we’ve all had to deal with, your ministry was an astounding feat, and I am very proud and happy to have been at the podium for all of it.
I do want to apologize for the relative lack of execution on Easter Sunday. It was clear to me that I didn’t spend enough rehearsal time on Sunday’s music (entirely my fault) and some last-second craziness (disappearing string music comes to mind) didn’t help. In spite of all that, you were wonderful, and I wanted to say a particular thank you to those of you who were able to join us on Sunday morning.
So now we turn our attention not only to the Easter Season, but what comes next! Over the next few weeks, I’ll be asking for your input regarding some long-term goals, music selections, and so on. As always, I’m grateful for what you tell me and will always take it to heart.
Remember: no rehearsal tomorrow night! Please arrive 40 minutes before Mass so we can start preparing with 30 minutes to go.
MUSIC TURN-IN APRIL 28
We’ll turn in music for Lent and Triduum at our next rehearsal, April 28. While we’re at it, I’d like to round up other musical pieces that belong to the parish, since the librarians and I will be taking on a huge inventory and cataloging project this summer! It’d be helpful to have all our musical resources rounded up so we can have an accurate count of what we have and what we need, and to keep everything safe and organized so we’re ready for the next time we need it. So… please be ready to turn in:
- Ex 15: Song of Miriam
- Glory to the Christ
- Mass of Renewal (Gokelman)
- O Prince of Peace Upon the Cross
- Panis Angelicus
- Three Days
- Any other parish-owned octavos/scores you may have at home or in your folders, so we can get them all cataloged.
At this time, we’re not turning in our Choral Praise books…. We’ll deal with those later, once I have a chance to consider how to use them (or, should I say, the maybe 12 songs in them that aren’t in JourneySongs) legally and practically.
LOOKING AHEAD: REHEARSALS IN EASTER
Now that the Liturgical World Series is concluded, let’s return to a 90-minute rehearsal schedule (7:00–8:30), beginning April 28. Our final rehearsal will be June 2, as we prepare for Pentecost that weekend.
We will not rehearse on May 14 to make way for the Quire Cleveland concert that evening (more to come!).
THIS WEEK IN LITURGY
RITUAL AND SERVICE MUSIC FOR THE SEASON:
- Glory to God: Mass of Creation (Haugen) MI 884 [score]
- NEW April 24! Dismissal: The Word of God (Ward) WA [score]
- Gospel Acclamation: Mass of Renewal (Stephan) MI 877 [JS 177]
- Prayer of the Faithful: O God, Hear Us (Hurd) WA [JS 268]
- Eucharistic Acclamations: Mass of Renewal (Stephan)
- Holy: MI 878 [JS 179]
- Mystery of Faith: MI 879 [JS 180]
- Amen: MI 882 [JS 183]
- Lamb of God, April 24: Mass of Creation (Haugen) MI 888 [score]
- Lamb of God, May 1–June 5: Mass of Renewal (Stephan) MI 883 [JS 184]
APRIL 24 · Second Sunday in Easter
In lieu of an actual rehearsal, here’s a “virtual rehearsal” using streaming audio and video when available. Please note: since we’re not together this week, I replaced the closing song with a more familiar selection.
- Gathering Song: Lift Up Your Hearts (O’Connor) MI 563 [JS 593]
- NEW! Dismissal: The Word of God (Ward) WA [score]
- Responsorial Psalm: Ps 118: Give Thanks to the Lord (Ward) WA [score]
- Preparation of the Gifts: O Sons and Daughters (O FILII ET FILIAE) MI 405 [JS 405]
- Lamb of God: Mass of Creation (Haugen) MI 888 [score]
- Communion: Taste and See (Kendzia) MI 343 [JS 789]
- Solemn Dismissal (“Go in peace… alleluia…”)
- Sending Forth: Sing with All the Saints in Glory (HYMN TO JOY) MI 592 [JS 759]
MAY 1 · Third Sunday in Easter
- Gathering Song: Our God Is Here (Muglia) MI 305 [JS 771]
- Responsorial Psalm: Ps 30: I Will Praise You, Lord (Inwood) WA [JS 33]
- Preparation of the Gifts: How Can I Keep from Singing (Lowry) MI 443 [JS 686]
- NEW! Lamb of God: Mass of Renewal (Stephan) MI 883 [JS 184]
- Communion: Bread of Life (Farrell) MI 354 [JS 788]
- Sending Forth: Glory and Praise to Our God (Schutte) MI 552 [JS 574]
Peace be with you… and Happy Easter!